Monday, October 6, 2014

Difficult Students

My students are wonderful.
That being said I got to experience first hand what a difficult student was.

It must be hard. To be a full grown man, married with children, knowledge and experience to be taught by a young 20 something woman. I have no formal education in teaching. I did a short training but nothing really extensive.  I'm also not oblivious to the different roles women play in other cultures. 

With all of that being said, I didn't think I'd see the day when I would have to dismiss a student from my class. Especially an adult.

Learning English is no simple task. Heck, It's my first language and I screw it up on a daily basis.  It does require focus and a bit of seriousness, both of which this student lacked. He would joke and poke fun, both of which I can deal with to a point. But add that to disrupting the learning of other students, lying and not participating in activities it became too much. I also could have dealt with it if it were once or twice. ..but everyday.  Wowzer.

Finally I lost it. Asked him to step outside...He didn't like that very much and to be honest nor did I. It's so vital for our students to learn English that having him leave class is detrimental. 

So now this man, who us a wonderful person, is taking a break from classes.  It's hard to think about him not coming, especially when the language is so important.  I'm praying that he will feel comfortable enough in the future to return to classes.

*more on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment